Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Pursuit of Happiness: my New Year's Resolution

The new year introduces a sense of a: fresh start, new beginning, clean slate. “New year new me” is splashed across social media outlets. You will overhear typical discussions about “New years resolutions”, I’ve never been a fan of this age old practice. I find myself at a loss of which resolutions to declare and tackle. This year I continued my own practice of not setting a single New Year’s Resolution. I’m sure the average reader will pin me as a typical lazy college student. However, I am far more ambitious than the typical college student. During the school year I am a Resident Assistant for the University I attend, a sister in the AOII sorority, avid volunteer, Music Education/ English student, and at the end of the day I am only human. I stretch myself too thing, I am very much a “Yes Man” and people pleaser.
In a sense I have made a single New Years’s Resolution, do what makes me happy. Sounds simple, but all too often I put my own life, ambitions, aspirations on the back burner; in order to be what others need of or from me. In 2015 I resolve to take time to laugh, take time for myself, place my academics as a top priority. These all appear to be individual resolutions, but these create the environment  I experience the greatest success and happiness in.  I also resolve to never let a single day pass without letting at least one person in my life know how much I love and appreciate their presence and influence in my life. This is far easier said than done, and it will take daily effort as it takes 21 days to create a new habit.
This year, rather than flocking to the gym to try the latest diet trend, or any other resolution easily abandoned a few weeks into the new year. I challenge you to resolve you to place yourself, your hopes, ambitions, loves ahead of what you believe others expect from you. This is not the opportunity to shirk  work or other responsibilities based on one blogger's  suggestion. This is the opportunity to use 2015 as the year to experience the happiest and most successful  year of your life; at least until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment